Friday, September 11, 2009

Post 100

For my 100th post, I would like to write about something that is very close to my heart. My hair. My hair and I have gone through a lot together. Permanents, relaxers, braids, twists, dramatic cuts and now, it's growing out naturally.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Seriously? You're going to write about your hair? Seriously?"

Well, my hair is a symbol for all of the changes that have happened in my life. When I was 9, my mom made me permanently straighten my hair because it was too coarse for her. It was nice and long and beautiful and well taken care of. When I got to high school (boarding school) I had to learn to take care of myself and that is when my hair started to fall out and get split ends. i didn't have the resources to take good care of my hair. When it comes to African American women, hair care is very very important. Anyway, in college I cut all of my hair off and let it grow back naturally. So it's been six years since I cut my hair and I love the way that it is and even though people keep telling me to permanently straighten it again. I tell them, NO.

As weird as it may sound, I think that they way that I treated my hair reflects the way that I felt about myself. When I was younger, my parents had control over me. When I got to high school, I had to learn to take over and I did a horrible job at it. When I got to college, I didn't like the way that i was so I had to start from scratch. Cutting my hair was my fresh start. I like the way that my hair turned out, but my "fresh start" didn't turn out so hot. Ugh! Frustration.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page