Saturday, September 19, 2009

Arranged Marriages

Last night, I had a dream that my parents wanted to arrange my marriage. They found me a guy whom they thought was perfect for me and I was supposed to marry. Apparently I was happy with their choice and I had a long and happy life with the man.

It got me thinking about marriage and why people look down on arranged ones. I used to think that love was a huge deal and I could never marry someone if I wasn't in love with him. Now, I think that respect, common interests and a general sense of compassion are all you need. Modern marriages are so unsuccessful and I don't want that in my future. I refuse to get divorced. Love is so fickle and it makes me sad to know that marriages have failed because the couple "fell out of love". That is just an excuse. They just don't want to be together anymore or they've met someone else that they believe might be better. If their marriage was based entirely on "love" and the love was suddenly not there anymore, then what do they have?
NOTHING!!!

Maybe arranged marriages aren't such a bad thing. Your parents watched you grow up, they know your general interests and the kind of people you like (if they are good parents) so maybe they would be good people to find you a mate. Actually, I don't know. I want to be able to find someone for myself but all of the ones that I pick have been crap or too far away and I refuse to believe that I am meant to be alone. I'm just so sick of wanting this so bad when there is a possibility that I won't get it at all.

Here is where I become 2 years old. I just want someone to hold my hand and kiss my boo boos and tell me that everything will be alright.

(No wonder the movies don't tell you what happens after the couple gets together)

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page